A backup computer need not cost much at all.  My wife's Lombard PowerBook,
which is capable of running the exact same software as my G4 only cost $250.
My Pismo was $400.

Even cheaper, if you just need to get email and surf the web, almost ANY Mac
or PC from the last 8 or 9 years will do the job, along with plenty of free
or old software to handle productivity.  My daughter has a Kanga, though a
3400c or even a 5300c would run the same software well enough to serve as a
backup computer.  The Kanga cost me all of $150 and with OS8.6 is actually
fast and pleasant to use, while even a lowly 5300 would be acceptable under
OS 8.1.  Any of those low-end PowerBooks is much cheaper than AppleCare on
the new one.

If you use desktops than it is even cheaper, with CRT iMacs and B&W G3s in
the low $100 range, and capable of running Panther with modest RAM and hard
drive upgrades, again very cheaply done.

Andrew