You're right, that's not what I wanted to hear, but then I wanted
straight answers, not happy fluff.  I don't know what the local lemon
laws are, but I've heard of them.
This is definately not my first mac by any means, I've been a long and
devoted mac fan since I was a little kid.  However, the last time
someone in my family sent in a computer to applecare was my families
old IIsi, which failed for the same reasons as my iBook originally
did, and when it came back we were amazed at the difference (the
computer still runs perfectly to this day, though it sees no use
lately)  I've had (as mine or as a family computer growing up) a IIc,
IIsi, 7100/66, 5300cs, 1400/166c and the most recent (besides the
iBook) is an iMac DV SE, which is still a strong workhorse.  They've
all been outstanding machines, and this is the first real problem I've
had with applecare, but at least they are taking care of it (unlike
Compaq did with my presario).
As I said before, there are alot of good things happening here with
this situation, my only problem is that I'm being forced to deal with
someone elses poor production and inventory planning.
I also realize we live in a time where inventory is kept at or below
minimum to reduce coporate costs, but that line of thinking also leads
to problems like these.  I do need the computer- all my appointments,
addresses, music etc are on there, and it handles 90% of my schoolwork
(including notes from lectures and audio recordings from lectures).  I
still have the old 1400, but it won't do the job that this iBook did,
and I want it back.
Brian