On 1/25/05 5:36 PM, "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> On 1/25/05 7:40 PM, "Amber" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> I have talked to Apple care after doing an archive and install
>
> The first thing I'm going to suggest is creating a new account (an admin
> account) and see what happens. Configure it for internet and see if you can
> get online. I expect this will solve nothing but hey, lets see.

Thanks for replying !!  I did try this before calling AppleCare as I know it
is the first thing they ask with stuff like this.  Unfortunately, same
problems occurred in the new user account.

> The next solution would have been an archive and install which you have
> already done so we are gonna bypass this and go right to formatting the
> drive and reinstalling everything fresh.

They did suggest the erase and install but of course I am trying to back up
the remainder of the drive.  In fact, it wasn't until they suggested this
that I realized the drive was not working properly.

I have considered the suggestions you made - i.e. External hard drive, .Mac
account etc.  I don't have the money for either .Mac or another hard drive.
I have filled up the remainder of my existing external hard drive but that's
all the space I have.  I need to shovel an additional 40 gigs somewhere.

What kind of files can be moved to the iPod ?  I didn't even consider that
as an option.  I have a 3 gen, 20 gig ipod with about 16 gigs of space left.

> If erasing the drive and reinstalling doesn't work I'd start thinking about
> RAM or the possibility that your computer is channeling Drew Barrymore. But
> I really suspect formatting the drive and reinstalling the OS will solve the
> problem. And if you can afford it get an external hard drive and do weekly
> backups. Just a suggestion from someone who once lost everything when his
> computer decided to attempt throwing itself from a moving car.

Thanks David for all your suggestions !!   I know that I will have try erase
and install.  AppleCare is prepared to replace the disk drive which is now
appearing to sort of work but not with any degree of consistency.  It keeps
spitting out disks mid-burn, or still does not recognize some of them at
all.

Arrghhhhh...sorry to hear about your PB mishap !

Amber