It's a Belkin, a couple years old, has three wired ports and wireless,
it's been used with wireless cards in 3 different PCs, my old
Powerbook, and an iBook I was cleaning up to sell, as well as a USB
wireless PC adapter and an ethernet wireless adapter for the G3 iMac
downstairs - no other machine has ever made the wired one disconnect,
though *once* a month or so ago it stopped transmitting wirelessly, so
had to be reset through the machine that's connected with a cable.

Hmmm, sorry, I don't have any experience with the Belkin, but I would be
tempted to say that it's the problem.

-Laurent.

I too agree it sounds like the router. Power it down and reset it to default
as per the instructions that came with it.

The router still functions fine with a PC laptop and the ethernet-wireless iMac, and with the old Powerbook up until I got rid of her. It gets reset every time the iBook kills the wired connection. The orange light that says the machine's transmitting or receiving data still lights up when it's not working, the machine just can't find the host. The router's connected through DHCP to my DSL modem, it basically runs at factory settings all the time except for the SSID is different.