I would try and get your hands on one of the old
Lucent Orinoco cards.  I have one (sold under the
Agere name) in my Kanga and the reception is even
better than my 12" AlBook's.  I believe you can get
the same card on eBay under many names, including Dell
TrueMobile or Proxim, just be careful on the Proxim
cards because their new one won't work at all on a
Mac.

You will need a 3rd party driver for OSX or OS9, but
this is easy to find, and if you go with the Orinoco
card I can email it to you.

Andrew

<http://www.mail-archive.com/g-books%40mail.maclaunch.com/>