On Feb 8, 2005, at 3:41 PM, Andrew, a Mac Freak wrote:

1) the RAM. The original was PC-66. The new is PC-100. Maybe PC-133
would cure it?    I called Crucial and they were really helpful -
they have sold about 100 modules for that model and had <3% returns,
they are sure it is ok. They were adamant the PC-133 would not help.

I don't think increasing the RAM speed would help at all. The Lombards
have a 66mhz bus speed, so having faster RAM won't help; the RAM will
always reduce back to the bus speed. Prehaps there was some kind of
mobo damage in the past, which also affected the other ram module? BTW,
I've had trouble installing 10.2 multiple times on my perfectly working
Beige G3; I had to try many times until one time it finally completed
installing. I also once had a Duo 280c that would run fine when
connected with the power adaptor, but when run off of a battery it would
freeze often, sometimes when it was just idling. And when booted it

I recall reading that the processor boards on Lombards were prone to issues with the cache memory on them. This could be one possible reason for the apparent sporadic nature of the issues that Andrew is seeing. I can't recall if there's a good way to test for this, or if it was a certain batch of processor cards that have the issue. Some googling might turn up more details.

Steve