On Feb 14, 2005, at 12:47 PM, John C. Swanson wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: G-Books [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Bruce
Johnson
Sent: Monday, February 14, 2005 14:09
To: G-Books
Subject: Re: iBook mini and PowerBook mini

Gah, tablets are still failing in the general marketplace, I expect
Apple's staying *out* of that morass.

Except I think Apple could make a good table with good software, unlike
the buggy and painful software know and Windows XP Tablet PC Edition.

Of that I'm certain; Apple's still sitting on a lot of the technology from Newton, which is probably the best tablet OS ever made...the Newton OS was held back by the hardware, cultural and pricing constraints of the day, but THAT was what a tablet OS should be.

Too bad it was in a PDA that was overpriced, and oversized to compete with Palm.

Still, tablet PC's are largely a solution without a problem, except for some narrow vertical markets.

Apple came out with a huge number of SWOPs, some of the coolest stuff they've ever done, during the chaos of the 90's; still didn't help the bottom line.

Apple doesn't do that much, if at all anymore. They'll come up with solutions to problems you may not know you had, (a la the iPod) but they don't do SWOPs any more. The closest they've come, imo, is the Cube, which was a solution to a problem, it just wasn't a solution anyone could afford.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona