I have a Dual-USB, 500MHz G3 12" iBook, with the yo-yo power adapter.

Wife has a G4 iBook, 14", 1.2GHz with the small, white, square brick power
adapter.

When we travel, we prefer to take the smaller G3 iBook.

I searched the Apple site for compatibility issues regarding power adapters
and found this info.

1.  Warning: Use only the power adapter that came with your iBook computer.
Adapters for other electronic  devices (including other iBook models and
other portable computers)  may look similar, but they may affect your
computeršs performance or damage it.

2. BUT, also found this:

Extra Portable Power Adapter - 65W (for iBook & PowerBook)
Important: Compatible with PowerBook G4 (Aluminum or Titanium models) or
dual-USB iBook (500Mhz Power PC G3 or higher).

So, in the words of the frightful "Marathon Man", is it safe?

I am making the leap from:  IF Apple sells a power adapter that works on
both my wife's G4 iBook and my G3 iBook, THEN the adapter that came with her
G4 should power and charge the battery of my G3 and it's safe to use.

G4 iBook manual says of the power adapter:
Input:  AC 100-240 volts 50/60 hertz.
Output:  CD 24.5 V, 1.875 A.

>From the back of the yo-yo adapter for the G3 iBook:
Input: 100-250V, 50-60 H