On Feb 24, 2005, at 1:41 AM, Dyna wrote:

. Time and again, when you compare Macintosh with similarly
equipped PeeCees, most of the time, the Peecees end up being far more
expensive than the Mac.

Perhaps I should clarify that I'm largely comparing hardware here

Whereas Laurent was comparing oranges to the cost of tea in China.

Oh wait, no, he was talking about hardware too.

- I have refused gifts of bootleg Windoze with no regrets!

bully for you!

Looking Mac and PC hardware these days one finds that a lot of the parts (hard drives, optical drives, memory, etc.) are the same.

Adventures In Missing the Point, Part 4

If you compare a VW and a Mercedes you will see tires, a steering wheel, seats... does that make them equal?

Mac hardware, esp Mac laptops, are almost all shipping with Superdrives. Are you taking that into consideration when you compare Mac and PC hardware costs?

The Power PC is clearly a more powerful and efficent processor, but the PC processor will none the less handle most people's computing tasks capably.

Yes, but when that processor is going to have to spend a lot of time dealing with spyware and virii, it's going to be much less efficient than in some lab.

As for build quality, many Macs are now built by the same subcontractors that make PCs so there is no Mac advantage.

Have you ever worked in manufacturing? Have any experience at all with contract work? suppliers? design?

In software Macs are clearly far superior to Micro$oft's attempts, but Linux is reasonably user friendly

WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP!!!! Big time "Who are you kidding?" alert.

and will meet most peoples needs. Given the bugs in OSX, I sometimes wonder why I pay good money for upgrades when I could be having just as much "fun" tearing my hair out at 3 am trying to make it work running Linux for free...

That's hilarious. Linux is still a playground for people who have more time than money. I like that even your own words indicate that you would be assured of tearing your hair out, but it would be free.

So how much cost premium is a Mac worth? For the user on a tight budget with basic needs an old PC running Linux will do the job for less than the cost of a Mac.

Correction: "For the user on a tight budget with plenty of copious free time and a very high comfort level with computers and a willingness to dig under the hood of their computers."

For me I figure a 20% premium over PCs is the most I'll pay extra for a Mac. For some, a Mac is a status symbol like a luxury car and they will pay any amount to obtain one...

I've had my Mac for almost a year, and it has paid for itself in the time that I have spent using it rather than fixing it.

Your "average user" is a complete myth.

TjL