OSX on my Pismo with a 400MHz G3 and 512 RAM was fast.

With the bluechip upgrade to 900MHz and 1 GB RAM it is even better, but even at 400MHz, it was fast enough.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bruce Ryan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "G-Books" <G-Books@mail.maclaunch.com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 08, 2005 3:22 PM
Subject: Pismo wireless

Dear Listers

Can I tell you a shaggy dog story and then ask for some advice, please? (If not, please just delete this mail!)

Got myself a 400MHz Pismo recently. Love it to bits for the look alone but I want to go wireless with it. (I have a wireless router that's accessed by my flatmate's PC and - via ethernet - my G4/400)

Fell for an eBay advert for an 802.11g cardbus card that apparently would work with a mac - and won the auction. Here's the rub. The manufacturers say it will work with a mac but only under OSX. OSX is slow enough on a G4/400MHz with 384MB RAM. I hate to think how slow it'll be on a G3/400 with 128MB. (I do have an extra 512MB and a 30GB hard disk arriving soon.)

So, do any of the assembled multitude have a clue if the card (Buffalo technology WLI-CB-G54A-3) can be jinxed into working under OS9?

Will OSX be as slow as I fear, even with the bigger hard disk and more RAM?

Is the delay in going wireless my karma for wanting to go faster than 802.11b?

Many thanks

Bruce