On 08/04/05 12:40, "Francesco sciacca" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[snip!]
> Given the symptoms reported above, what could be my next best bet move
> before I head directionless at guessing fixes, maybe creating more damage? I
> thought first that the file system was corrupted, but in that case a clean
> install should have cured it?
> And I suppose my next dumb question is: this is a Titanium G4. Is installing
> OS 10.3.5 from the DVD that came with my collegue Aluminum G4 a bad thing
> (as opposed to installing from the original CD)?
[snip!]

I think that your disk is having some problems. Have you tried, after
booting from a system install disk to launch Disk Utility and format the
drive, making sure that you turn on the option to write zeros? Before
replacing the disk, you might want to try a disk repair utility like Disk
Warrior, but that will add to the cost of getting another drive. I would
guess that the drive has some problems, but this is mostly speculation. It
is hard from the symptoms you describe to tell what is wrong...

It is also possible that the iLife installation CD is corrupted or has been
damaged. Did you had any 3rd party memory in that PowerBook? Is this the
original hard disk? What Titanium model is this? When rebooting from the
system install disk, did you make sure that no peripheral were connected?
Specially USB peripherals, like mouse and/or keyboard?

I don't think it is a problem installing from a DVD made for another
PowerBook but you might want to try a generic OS X install disk, if you can,
just to be sure.

-Laurent.