1. The 'book can accept an Airport card, but are there limitations on which
cards can be used?

Yes: only the original Airport can be installed, while the WS was able to manage also the newer 54mbit PCcards

2. It has a 10GB hard drive which is... well, not big. I have a 40GB USB
drive and want to know if the iBook can boot from that drive?

If the USB contains a 2.5" drive I'd suggest to replace the HD. I don't think you can boot off USB stuff.

3. I'd like to run OS X on the machine and was wondering if the 500 MHz cpu
would give acceptable performance? I don't do graphics stuff... just some
word processing, spreadsheets and listen to an occasional music CD.

I have an iBook like yours with 384 MB RAM, and I admit you must be very patient with it and OS x 10.3.

On the other hand the WS with a PowerLogix GH3 500 Mhz seems faster and more responsive than the iBook.

How much RAM do you have?

Ben