Ed Zelinsky asked:

"This will be a first for me. Any thoughts on the best hard drive to buy, a reference manual/website for actually doing the work and the same for formatting the drive would be appreciated."

Ed,
Be aware that our magnanimous sponsor, Low End Mac, warns, "According to the Road Warrior and Other World Computing, the drive controller in G3 PowerBooks is incompatible with ATA-6 hard drives. When replacing the internal hard drive, you should be sure to obtain an ATA-5 complaint drive, which supports transfer speeds of up to 100 MB/sec." As for a reference manual, your best bet is to go to: http://www.pbfixit.com/Guide/?p=Wallstreet*00 and check out the Fix It Guide. I've used it a lot. Even better it's free! As to the level of difficulty, it is relatively easy IMHO. Hope this helps.

Scott Birdwell
DeFalco's Home Wine & Beer Supplies
Houston  TX
www.defalcos.com