On May 4, 2005, at 8:49 AM, Zoltan Batiz wrote:

Hello all,

I've been hearing a lot lately about Tiger this and Tiger that. . .doesn't anyone wait anymore? I mean, there's bound to be bugs in huge upgrades. . .history has taught me that. When I went from 9 to Puma (10.1) I ended up going back to 9 until Jaguar (10.2.) came out; and I didn't go to Jaguar until about 7 months after it was released. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that people these days just can't wait to run down to the Apple Store to pop in the latest and greatest only to find themselves slowed down by piles of BUGS.

There aren't, to my knowledge "piles of bugs" in Tiger. There is one known bug, in the VPN code that's causing problems, and some programs need to be updated.

But if you go to someplace like macintouch or MacFixit to get your sense of the release, you'll thing that 10.4 is buggier than Windows 3.0...

MacFixit, in particular will pass along ANYthing. Macintouch will try to get confirmation on things. 'Did this happen to more than one person?'

MacFixit:

"Joe Blow says that when he upgraded to 10.4 his mouse stopped working entirely. Don't install 10.4 or your mouse stops working."

Ten minutes later

"Joe says he fixed it, the cat pulled it out of the USB socket."

I always take what I find on these and the Apple forums with some grains of salt...they're squeaky wheel fests to rival a national hamster convention.

Besides, if everyone waits...who's going to find the bugs? :-p

Me, I'm expecting my copy this Friday or the beginning of next week. I'm not sure which system I'm installing it on, it's not going to be my production system first thing; probably either my Pismo or my home desktop on the spare HDD.

If you're a belts and suspenders kinda guy, a good conservative rule of thumb is always wait for the 0.1 version of *anything*.

(sez the guy who switched to Mozilla as his primary web browser way back at version 0.6...lots of arrow scars from that progression to Firefox 1.03 today)

But there's a lot to like about Tiger. I'm not going to wait very long...there's one piece of sftware I use that I KNOW is affected, and they're supposed to get the update out this week.

-- Bruce Johnson University of Arizona College of Phar macy Information Technology Group