First off, I'd recommend going to 10.3.9 - works fine on my Pismo. We have a fairly similar setup, though the Pismo is retired to occasional use. We have an old HP4MP connected via iPrint.

Just for trouble shooting's sake, create a new network "location" with just ethernet (turn off everything else: modem, IR, etc. in Show->Network Port Configurations) and make sure AppleTalk is active and then click Apply Now.

In the Application->Utilities folder, open Printer Setup Utility. If your printer is there, select it and click DELETE in the toolbar. Then click ADD and in the drop sheet choose "AppleTalk". Hopefully your Apple printer will show up. Whether the printer shows up in the Printer Setup Window depends on the drivers installed with the OS. There is an optional printer driver installer on the Panther install disk that you may have to try. It installs older stuff (like for my Epson 740).

Good luck - let us know what is happening.
Turtle-Bear