On 26-May-05, at 11:15 AM, Bruce Johnson wrote:

On May 26, 2005, at 8:47 AM, Laurent Daudelin wrote:

Not really on topic, but since I didn't have any other place to ask...

I have my Apple Studio Display 17 that stopped displaying a picture last week. I did replace it with a 19" LCD display, so I'm not really trying to
repair it.

However, I already had an Apple Studio Display 21 that stopped working last year. So, I have 2 of those big CRTs taking space and I was wondering what to do with them. I'm pretty sure that the problem is with the power supply and somebody more experienced with televisions and CRTs might be able to
repair them.

I'm not looking to repair them, just to get rid of them. I was thinking that
I could maybe offer them on the LEM-Swap list.

Probably not worth it. Even repaired, they're not worth the cost of shipping them; perhaps you can find a home for them locally. But there's a huge glut of CRT's out there.

We have two different charitable organizations here that refurb computers; both are now telling people they no longer accept CRT monitors unless they're coming with the whole computer, and if they could just have the computer, pretty please...

This is a serious problem, these things are toxic in landfills and very expensive to recycle.

If you have a local freecycle group <http://www.freecycle.org/> you might get someone to take it off your hands...

--
Bruce Johnson

Hear, hear! This whole subject niggles at me constantly. I've got a lovely old monochrome portrait monitor that I used for a long time with a IIci because I love to see a whole page up on the screen. I've still got it packed away, moved it across the continent a couple of times (with my wife smiling as I lug it to the truck because I don't want it banged, even though it now has a crack in one corner of the front bezel) but I'll never use it again. I just can't bear to throw it away. Maybe I should have it put in the casket with me?

For those who don't know it, this organization is worth knowing about:

http://www.lanecrrc.org/about/macrenewal.php

Rick