Is anyone out here still using AOL in OS X?

My sister is, and I promised I'd help her work out some problems. Unfortunately, I can't figure it out. The issue is that AOL won't talk to the Wallstreet's modem. I installed it on my Pismo (10.3.9), and that's what I'm using to connect right now.

On the Wallstreet (running 10.2 Jaguar, which update I'm not entirely sure), AOL's idiot setup always finds the right modem description (Apple Internal 56k v.90), but it seems to want to select the printer/modem port for the connection.

When using so-called "expert" setup, I pick the right modem description and the internal modem for the "port."

Either way, when AOL tries to dial, it fails with results like "modem not accepting our commands" or "modem cannot find a carrier signal."

I've verified that AOL Dialup is the mode selected in the Network preference pane, and nothing seems wrong there.

The modem works fine in OS 9/AOL 5, so there's no hardware or phone line issues.

Does anyone have any ideas?

FYI, I'm in digest mode since I've been stuck with AOL dialup for a couple of days.

Thanks,
Drew
--

Author of ClassicStumbler