  Number Of CPUs:     1
  CPU Speed:  1 GHz
  L2 Cache (per CPU):     256 KB
  Memory:768 MB
  Bus Speed:     133 MHz
  Boot ROM Version:    4.5.3f2

  OS X 10.3.0

------------------

This laptop is taking multiple attempts to boot up. Failed boots happen via a grey screen, and a multilanguage "you must reboot your machine" dialog. One or two of those, and then it boots normally.
I have no info on cold vs. warm boot, yet.

A USB mouse is present, No other USB devices are plugged in. It's worked fine for ages and then this started.

It's had its permissions reset via the disk utility with no help.

Seems like a kernel panic, bad RAM maybe? or interleaved files- is Disk Warrior the only solution?

Web archives suggest a "archive and install"- how well does this work in practice, will he "lose all"?

Thanks,

Brian