My Fellow PowerBook-philes and Tim,

Cable Modems would be nice if only we did not have one of the worst iterations of the Comcast Empire where I live. It was formerly known as MediaOne, then later as AT&T Cable and Broadband. MediaOne has the dubioius distinction of having the poorest customer service rating of any cable company ever. Ever. It was fantastic. Man I still shudder about MediaOne.

Regardless, I will be moving to Birmingham, AL which only has Charter I understand. I had to deal with them in Athens, GA. They are not as technically savvy as Comcast, nor do they know how to run networks in general, plus they do not have as many nifty features, but goodness ... it's like the difference between Sun and Microsoft in cultures. Sure, I'd prefer a Linux or Apple kind of culture, but at least it isn't an uncaring empire.

On an aside:  Apparently Paul Allen does have a stake in Charter.  Eh.

Still, business lines are expensive so I won't be able to run any nifty home-made servers from leftover computers running everything from NetBSD, OS 8.5 to RedHat 9. I plan on getting the DreamCast an Ethernet adapter and turning it into something .... That oughta be funny. If my Mac SE had a larger hard drive I might even network it.... (G)

Good luck with y'alls DSL and/or Cable Modems .... and watch out for the lightning! :-)

Sincerely,
Pacer the Loon

Tim Collier wrote:

I live in South Florida and we have thunderstorms everyday especially in the Summer. I used to have BellSouth DSL and had a similar experience. I use a cable modem now. No more problems.

Tim