On Jul 21, 2005, at 9:51 AM, Laurent Daudelin wrote:

registered or not. Not sure about the additional services, never heard about it. As for the battery, read the user guide that comes with it. There are instructions for the 1st charge so you might want to follow them...

What I got from reading the manual and apple and other online stuff re: new powerbook batteries was this:

Charge it up, then one deep discharge, to the point of laptop shutdown, to calibrate the "time remaining" feature of the power manager. Then don't deep discharge it again if you can help it, you'll lose some capacity each time you do that. Although you may have to do it again sometime in the future if the time remaining estimate gets messed up somehow.

From reading of lithium battery tech in general, they really like to be kept topped up all the time, unlike other battery types you won't hurt them by having them plugged in always, you should actually get better a lifespan out of them that way.

For long term storage, cooler, dry place (not a frig) at 40% charge is best. Like a basement cupboard maybe.

They lose capacity whether in use or not so for lithium ion batteries, a couple laptop battery places said that it doesn't make sense usually to buy a "spare" unless you're really going to use it actively and get the most out of it while it is freshest.

On my 1.5 month old 12" PB, I get 3.5 to 4 hrs work time on it, depending on what I'm doing. Lots more system uptime really since usually ends up asleep for a while until I come back to it. I still can't believe that I can burn a couple CDs, DVDs, etc while on battery and still have plenty of juice left to do other work. Nice!

HTH.

Brian