Fabian Fang wrote:

Dan, the PowerBook Guy in San Francisco, with website at http:// www.powerbookguy.com, sells a lot of PowerBook service parts. While I do not see a "light bulb" as such on his Pismo page, he can probably get it for you.

The PowerBook Guy has a great selection, but he's a wee bit expensive; I don't think I've ever bought anything from him, as I can usually find better sources. In any case, I can get the bulb; see below.

Jeffrey Gaier wrote:

While I had my Pismo in being serviced for a logic board problem, my monitor had a slight pink problem that went scarlet red after the logic board replacement. I honestly don't remember if it was the screen or video card, but they (the local mac repair shop) replaced it right away and just told me the problem occured and they fixed it.

From what I've read (see below) the pink/red color is mostly likely the bulb growing old; of course replacing the whole display with one with a good bulb would fix it.

I've owned my Pismo since new and I think I've spent at least 1500 in additional repairs and upgrades to it. By far compared with my 17" powerbook thePismo is still a great computer.

Indeed, I'm very fond of mine, but am thinking seriously of moving up to a 17" G4, for added display space and power. I haven't tried 10.4 yet, but although a recent upgrade to 550MHz G4 considerably enhanced the Pismo's ability to work with OS X, it's still frustratingly slow at times. I'll certainly miss the Pismo's ergonomics, especially the one-hand trackpad; the G4 PBs' design is very snazzy looking, but less usable, requiring two hands for the trackpad, which is annoying.

Thanks for the responses to my query. I was wondering if there might be any new information in the user community since the last time I researched this. For any who might be interested, here's the information I have:

Pismo LCD Lamp And Display Replacement, by Charles Moore
Information for do-it-yourself &
<http://www.macopinion.com/columns/roadwarrior/04/10/19/>

Bulb available from Digi-Key for $13 (search for part #289-1108-ND)
<http://digikey.com/>

Wegener Media: bulb $70, replacement service $200
<http://www.wegenermedia.com/pismop.htm>

The Last Pismo Upgrade, by Norman Shutler
Reviews bulb replacement and further brightness enhancements by IDParts, Inc.
<http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/tips/backlight_brightness_Film.html>

IDParts quotes bulb replacement at $95
<http://www.idparts.com/laptoprepairs.htm>
Not sure of the details yet, but at this price I'd rather pay to have it done than try to do it myself; I've taken apart a lot of PowerBooks, but dismantling display panel assemblies is more stress than I'd care to deal with. Used to do my own auto tuneups, too, but now I pay a real mechanic who can do in an hour what took me an afternoon.

I actually have two more 'Pismo' PowerBooks, in addition to my own trusty companion (which has a 550MHz G4, 40GB HD, 640MB RAM), which I'm preparing to sell; at least one will also need the bulb replaced. As for take-apart, I have the Apple service manual, and excellent instructions are provided online at, inter alia:

PBFixIt
<http://www.pbfixit.com/Guide/>

PowerBook Tech
<http://www.powerbooktech.com/knowledge,type-2.htm>