Ok first admission I am a Mac Newbie. I was given a Powerbook G3 which is running Mac OS 8.1. It has a 2Gb hard drive and 160Mb RAM. It is all Black (black keyboard) and the apple logo on the top is white. Underneath it says Powerbook G3 Series

My question is this, is it Old World or New World? The reason I ask is I am trying to get it to boot to a Ubuntu Linux live CD and despite the key presses I make (after Googling C, Cmd-Opt-Shift-Del, Opt) it flat refuses to boot to the CD. It does however boot to the MacOs 8 disk I have.

So I tried to reset the Pram, (Cmd-Opt-P-R) No joy. (what is the Pram anyway?)

So how do I find out? And once I do, how do I boot the Linux CD?

Thanks In Advance
--

Alan Harding