Hi Jim,
Yep, I guess there are really still /some/ spam that use real reply-to
addresses, but not a lot.

 Just because they don't bounce back to you, doesn't mean they aren't faked.
:). In point of fact, many of the ones that don't bounce back to you, are
probably going to real inboxes. It's just that they probably didn't send
them to you. You need to look at the actual mail header information to see
where a mail came from.(in entourage you can do that by doing a view
source). It can have a return/reply address of eg. [EMAIL PROTECTED], but
actually be sent from a mailer in say Korea. You bounce it to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
If fred exists, it gets accepted - and you think you've inconvenienced the
spammer. In fact, poor fred is sitting there coping a couple of thousand
bounces a day, on mail he didn't send out.

 Also, I (and many other postmasters) don't bounce bounces to non-existent
addresses at my domain. I do let the sending mailer know that the address
doesn't exist, but early enough in the conversation that a bounce can be
avoided.

A long time ago, I offended a fairly major and long lived spammer, by
convincing his isp to disconnect him :). He's pretty much been sending out
email with a return address of any made-up username at my domain, on an on
and off basis for years. :).

Occasionally he slips up, and I can get a couple of his relays closed down,
more often these days, he's sending out through zombie windows machines.

What folk often don't realise, is just how vulnerable the mail protocol is
to "dishonesty".

I can easily, just by talking directly to a mail server, convince it that I
am you (as the sender), send a couple of thousand emails to addresses I know
the mail server will not accept, and bury your mailbox in bounces.

I'm not in any way proposing to do that, but I know it can be done - It has
been done to me :). Ironically, in the trade, this form of mail abuse is
known as a "joe job".

Regards,
Joe