Problems with situations like these is that management either surrounds themselves with inadequate accounting staff who do not properly look into the options available, or they do not listen to their accounting staff. Good accounting staff would work closely with IT to find the best alternative monetarily and non monetarily. Clearly, this is not what happened in Kurt's example.
Brian