In a message dated 8/30/05 9:11:21 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<<
My 3rd LG (POS!!!)  CD/DVD drive has gone south..  Does anyone know if

the Mat unit (drive and sled) is a perfect match for the Pismo as a

replacement?

The MATSHITA (Panasonic) drive in the machine is obsolete, and Panasonic is
not making any more tray loading drives.

Every one has been replaced by the UJ-845-B, which is a slot loader, is +/-
everything, and is two-layer DVD-R-R/W.

Sadly, this isn't on Apple's "approved" list, so you will have to use
PatchBurn to support it.

A perhaps better choice is the Pioneer DVR-K05, which IS supported by 10.4,
but is not by 10.3 without PatchBurn.

This Pioneer drive has a tray loading variant.

I have both of these drives in my Lombard and Pismo, and they are fine for
DVD playing and CD reading and writing, but I have yet to successfully burn a
DVD with these.

The "fine print" on these drives is they work best with an 80-wire/40-pin
cable, but that is NOT the way they can be installed in a laptop, although
there
ARE adapters which are intended for installing these drives in "Shuttle" type
PeeCees, and which DO support 80-wire/40-pin cables.

Perhaps this is the old multiword vs DMA issue with some of the PowerPCs?

Anyway, I know of no currently manufactured drive which will accept the
Lombard/Pismo bezel, and the same is true of the MCE drives for the Wallstreet.

The tray loading Pioneer drive (DVR-K15?) is just enough different in the
bezel attachment area that is is a NO-GO.