On Sep 6, 2005, at 2:08 PM, Anne Judge wrote:

Thanks, guys, for the help. (BTW, I had deleted my old calendar files from the calendar folder already, via a search for "ics," backing them up to a zip archive before deleting.)

I never DID figure out where the information & garbage that kept filling the calendar kept coming back from - but I tried resetting my local Mac from .Mac (.Mac pref pane, advanced, only calendar) and after complaining 3x that there was some inconsistency on .Mac, the fourth try seems to have worked. I wasn't sure at first - all the extra blank calendars still appeared, but at the bottom of the list were my calendars, and when I clicked on one of the blank calendars (to try to delete it), iCal DIDN'T CRASH! Yippee!!

I have NO IDEA what ever went wrong, or why it decided to fix itself, but can only hope it doesn't happen again.

I think I will back up very soon now.

(Besides, an elderly lady whose iMac I maintain - an 350 iMac that chugs along admirably - had her HD die a noisy death today when I stopped by to see about the clunking noises she reported! Of course I could think of nothing it could be *except* the HD, and planned to back it up first thing, then run diagnostics. But upon sensing my arrival, apparently, the HD committed final suicide. I feel guilty not getting down there when she first reported the clunking 2 weeks ago, and there was the chance of saving the data, but I just didn't have the time. No backups!! Thank goodness she didn't really have any important files; she's the kind of user who really just reads & then deletes email.)

Anne

Anne,

I too have many friends and clients that I help with their Macs and PC's and all of my friends and clients have been taught and encouraged by me to use backup methods like Zip and Jaz drives etc. Even for those who simply read and delete it helps with sanity both on my part and theirs.

Zoltan