Thanks to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and Henry Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> for responding.

Apparently an external burner works, and I may have to go that route. Not exactly what I wanted, but I can live with this. Of course an internal option would be nice. Anybody using any other type of drive that successfully burns DVDs internally on the Pismo?

And how about software? I have a copy of Final Cut Pro that I was able to tweak to run on a G3, but haven't done much of anything with it yet. What software would work best for me (with any available upgrades) to edit the incoming analog video? I am toying with the idea of setting up a business to transfer VCR tapes to DVDs and would practice on my family's tapes first. What setup is being successfully used to make the transfer? Digital Camcorder? ADS Tech PRO A/V Link?

And again if any of the Pismo upgrades were of significant help, please let me know. I have a few extra dollars burning a hole in my pocket and telling my wife it is part of a business plan and recommended might help get an OK for this cash outlay. (yeah, and maybe not but I'll try anyway...)

Again, thanks for any input,

Dan-

<snip>
I added a +/- two-layer CD/DVD drive compatible with 10.3 and 10.4 (Pioneer
DVR-K05) to my Lombard and Pismo.

All CD operations are OK.

DVD playing is OK.

I have never successfully created a DVD, in toto, but I have created partial
DVDs.

The problem appears to be a noisy environment between the DVD drive and the
motherboard.

Perhaps not enough ground wires.

The drive's manual is quite explicit about DVD writing, stating that full performance from the drive *requires* an 80-wire/40-pin UATA/100-type cable.

The drive itself has no problem creating DVDs in a Blue & White G3/450, on the "multiword" bus, which *is* equipped with an 80-wire/40-pin UATA/100-type cable, even though it is not otherwise required, as the data rate on that bus is
limited to 16.67 MB/sec.

I bought an accessory adapter which converts the drive to standard interface, and which could be useful in a Firewire case, as well as for testing in a
desktop or tower. $6.95.

Note that the Pismo and Lombard both have issues with their EIDE/UATA chips, and these cannot accept drives which cannot negotiate *down* to lower ATA
performance levels (the earlier Wallstreets can).

All Samsungs, and many later Hitachi/IBMs and Toshibas are not compatible
with the Pismo and Lombard.

The Hitachi/IBM 5K80 series, if you can find one, *is* compatible, and you will need that storage should you solve the problem of support of the Pioneer
DVR-K05, or the equally capable Panasonic UJ-845.

My Lombard and Pismo each have a 60 GB Hitachi/IBM 5K80. My Wallstreets each
have a 40 GB Samsung.

All are 5400 rpm drives with large caches (8 MB?), FDB bearings, and all the
other "usual suspect" features.

Since the B&W 450 with its 100 MHz bus is about equal to a 400 or 500 MHz Pismo with its 100 MHz bus, I don't think more than a G3, or more than 400 or 500
MHz is required.

<snip>
Since the internal option seems to be a no-go, you may want to consider an
external Firewire option instead.

------------------------------

From: Henry Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Burning DVD's on a Pismo

Actually, I've burned DVD from my Lombard using an external burner
(Sony DVD RE DW-U18A - Firewire) and Toast Titanium 6. Lombard is a
400 with no upgrade. As for the upgrade, nice to have (I want one
too) but not necessary for your project, IMHO.

Henry

I have a Pismo 400MHz, 768 RAM, 40G running 10.3.9.

Obviously the first thing I need is the DVD burner. Probably will go
with the internal. But I was wondering if I had enough horsepower to
accomplish this. Anybody out there burning DVDs on a Pismo? What
upgrades would help the most? G3 900 or G4 500? More RAM? Faster
hard drive speed?

I am happy with my Pismo, and will probably wait for the equivalent
of a G5 laptop before I replace it. Or maybe not if I have to put so
much $ into this to make editing and burning DVDs practical....

WegenerMedia has a pretty tempting offer on the G4 500 upgrade.

My main projects will be converting VCR tapes over to DVD and
editing them with chapters and possible background music. We have a
bunch of tapes and photos that I want to get on DVDs to look nice,
share and preserve. I'd like to use my current laptop but I want to
see what is possible before I spend too much.

Please let me know of your experiences.

Thanks!

Dan-