I have an old Wallstreet 233/512 cache. I love it cuz it gives 6 hours of battery life, but it's very slow and too slow for OS X. However I found a
fairly inexpensive G3 upgrade (Avanti G3 400MHz) that I would like to
install with some more RAM (512MB) and then load OSX. I want to do all this so I can run iLife and after looking at the requirements I need OS 10.3. Will OS 10.3 install on this notebook? Do I need a helper app like Xpost to
get it running? I heard 10.3 only installs on USB Macs. If it will not
install on this PowerBook then which one will it including iBooks? I know this would be the bare minimum for iLife but that's fine, later on I may get
a faster Mac depending on how much I like the applications themselves.
Thanks for any help regarding this.

You will indeed need XPostFacto to install 10.3 on a Wallstreet. Try to make
sure that this upgrade does support OS X or you could be disappointed.

I've installed Panther on my WS II 233 via XPF and it's working fine; currently running Sonnet's G3/500 upgrade with plans to go G4. All of Wegener's Wallstreet upgrades support OS X, and the G3/400 is hard to resist at a cost of $99 + shipping. I'm a firm believer in using a G4 for OS X whenever possible, so I'm holding out until I can scrape together the funds for the Presto! G4/500 -- hoping to bust a move within two weeks.

I'm not sure how the iLife package will be on a G3 at 400MHz. Some of the apps in the iLife package require a G4, more specifically Altivec. Again,
you don't mention which version of iLife you plan to get, but I would
suggest you check Apple's website for minimum requirements before taking the
plunge...

I'm with Laurent on this -- rethink your plan to use a G3/400 system for your iLife apps. Especially if you intend to hold onto your WS for a good while longer, you may want to seriously consider the G4/500 upgrade. Even though the G3/400 will provide a nice speed bump and you'll probably be quite happy with it at first, you could wind up kicking yourself for not going for more horsepower....

Gene Osburn
Common sense...isn't