On Oct 5, 2005, at 4:06 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Hi, I hit the download button on the Windows media player website. An icon with a program did not download. A document with code only downloaded.Do I need to turn off my firewall to receive the icon and program to unstuff an install?

No. That sounds like an incomplete or corrupted download. Try here: <http://tinyurl.com/ip5y>

I'm new to OS X Tiger. In the Sharing Preference, I have Network Time checked; and, in the Advanced settings, I have marked Enable Stealth Mode and Enable FireWall Logging. I did not mark Block UDP Traffic. Not sure what that is.

I'm looking a the the Firewall Log. Looks like there are many entries. Haven't had a chance to read the O'reilly book that goes with OS X Tiger yet.

You will see LOTS of entries in the firewall, they will largely be irrelevant.

I'm wondering what UDP means and its significance. Any light someone can shed on all this would be helpful. There is a live radio program on the Internet I want to listen to but I need the windows media player, evidently.

Your firewall should not block any activity you initiate on your Mac, like file downloads.

UDP is a type of network traffic, which, along with TCP runs on IP networks (hence TCP/IP) <http://www-net.cs.umass.edu/kurose/transport/ UDP.html>

Basically, your computer won't respond to pings, it may not connect via Bonjour (or Rendezvous as it used to be known), and some other network utilities won't find it.

--
Bruce Johnson

This is the sig who says 'Ni!'