Wow,

I didn't mean to cause a cleric fight here. I think it is important to
remember that we all like Apple products, many of us have used them for
years with great satisfaction. To me the recent events were just very
surprising, given that I have always had (and bragged about to exclusive
Windows users) great service experiences with Apple (starting with the
PB 5300 extended repair program and the generally superior manufacturing
quality as wel as a recent occurance with one of my iPods - I still have
a few Apple IIs and a MacTV as well as 2 Luggables I keep for fun and
they run! - My SO banned them to a storage room, but nonetheless ;-)).
The Sales function of the Apple Stores is quite clearly successful, but
customer retention will become more important as time goes by and that
is where I (and others here) see the major deficits. I also mentioned
that Apple Care phone support is no longer something to write home
about. It's just like the old car metaphor: Make sure it runs like a
Honda/Acura (insert other favorite Japanese brand here) - Harddrives
failing after 1.5 years is not really acceptable - but if there is a
problem: Fix problems immediately without bunches of red tape.
Especially since Apple is still (at least perceivedely) more pricey than
your run of the mill PC. Design and ease of use alone will not convince
people over the longrun. (Wintel has been making strides here - I am
writing this on my work Sony Vaio, but I will try to convince our office
to switch to Macintel in due time, if I can figure out a solution for
our Windows-only CAD software).

Thanks again for everybody's input,
Tobias (in Denver Colorado, unfortunately somewhat away from Smalldog,
but I have bought from them before).