> The built-in decoder works well.

 DVD writing is reliable at 2X, usually reliably at 4X, and fails at
 greater than 4X, and that failure is on account of the poor grounding
 provided within the media bay itself. These same drives will not fail at
 any speed if installed as directed, using an 80-wire/40-pin cable.

I thought the DVD DECODER was for reading movies ?

Why does a DVD DECODER impact writing DVDs ?

--
Best wishes

Does the decoder chip work under X ?

thanks,