I just went through this with a technician at my
workplace who received a hand-me-down Lombard. DVD
Player software will not install in a Lombard under OS
X and won't work if you manage to copy it over. Per
Apple:

"Watching DVD discs in Mac OS 9

Other computers with DVD-ROM drives have hardware
decoders, which DVD Player 3.0 does not work with."

and

"Mac OS X 10.3 Help

DVD Player is not installed on my computer

DVD Player is installed on computers that have a DVD
drive and support AGP or PCI graphics with a Rage 128
video card or better."

Nor does the DVD-Video PC Card work with the Lombard:

"Note: The DVD-Video PC Card is not supported on the
Powerbook G3 Series 1999 (with Bronze translucent
keyboard)"

All the research I've done says that you can't play
DVD videos on a Lombard under OS X - you have to boot
into OS 9.

I'd love to be proven wrong (as would the tech at
work!).

Regards,

Bob Eye
Dallas, TX