on 16/10/05 12:31, B.L. at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Good Morning and Greetings to All G-Book Members;
> I have been a member of other Lowend Mac List such as the Powerbooks
> List, 1st Power Mac List, LEM Swaplist, MacNetwork List, but I am new to
> this list and in need of a bit of assistance.
> I have researched the archives and could not find any mention of my
> particular problem, so thought I would put it to the list to see whether
> or not some solutions could be found.
> Here goes;
> I recently acquired a 400mhz Powerbook G3 Lombard with 128mb of ram a
> 6gig hard drive and a DVD-ROM. I would eventually like to change out the
> ram and bring it up to 512mb, the DVD-ROM for a DVD/CD-RW, and replace
> the hard drive with a 40 gigger. But those things are for later.
>
> My main concern at the present time is that I am unable to upgrade the
> OS beyond 10.2. Whenever I attempt to upgrade the powerbook screen goes
> wonky with two lines across the screen on the gray page with the apple
> logo and locks up. Does this have something perhaps to do with the video
> and video patch I've heard about for these machines. Also, I am unable
> to get to the internet through my DSL modem and Linksys router. I am
> able to connect using my internal modem. As far as the connecting to the
> internet via my local lan I have no clue where to start in trouble
> shooting this. My Pc, 1GHZ Sawtooth, and 450 MHZ B&W have no trouble
> connecting. Thanks in advance for any and all help.
> PS: Sorry for being longwinded
> PSS: The PC is for the DSL modem only.

Do you know if the 128MB was standard or if one 64MB chip was added later?
The OS X installer for the late versions is kind of picky and I've read here
a lot of stories from Lombard owners that had to remove all extra memory to
install a later version of OS X. After the installation, they would put back
the memory and it would most of the time work.

Another thing you could possibly do, if you have a Mac that has SCSI and is
recent enough to install OS X would be to start your Lombard in SCSI target
disk mode, then connect it to another Mac and perform the installation from
that Mac.

-Laurent.
Logiciels Nemesys Software               mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

interrupts locked out: adj. When someone is ignoring you. In a restaurant,
after several fruitless attempts to get the waitress's attention, a hacker
might well observe "She must have interrupts locked out". The synonym
`interrupts disabled' is also common. Variations abound; "to have one's
interrupt mask bit set" and "interrupts masked out" are also heard. See also
spl.