Greetings Mac Folks,

At home I notice that my DSL modem lights occasionally are flashing quite noticeably when neither my TiBook (Mercury/Panther) nor the 9600 (400/9.1) ethernet connected desk top are on. Both are routed through a motorola wireless router/ethernet hub.

We live in an apartment block. I'm wondering if others in the building might be accessing the modem through the wireless router? I'm assuming that's very possible. I'm curious to know, is there a way for me to check and see if that is the situation by looking at wireless activity while I'm hooked up with the TiBook (is this built into Panther, which I'm still very much learning, or do I need third party activity tracking software)? Would other devices like wireless phones possibly make the lights jump? How worried should I be, if at all. Are they getting a free ride? Or worse? Could they hack into it without passwords? (Generally I assume virtually anything is possible...) I've never noticed that anything untoward is happening with my computers. The TiBook mostly stays at work, in any case.

I almost hate to ask this for fear of what I'll find out -- but better safe than sorry.

Cheers,
Rick