Hi Rick,

the best way to figure out if somebody is using your DSL without your permission is to check the number of IP addresses that your wireless router assigned to clients. You can do that on the router - you should be able to connect to its IP address via browser on http:// or https:// port. If there are more more addresses assigned than you have computers then it is clear that someone uses your badwidth. In any case I would suggest you to enable wireless security at least via WEP (although this is not very strong security it should keep people out for few days). You can also consider enabling MAC address filter (MAC address is unique ID of each network card - yes people can find ways to change their MAC address, but this is another level of protection of your network). If you enable the MAC address filter be sure to add any new equipment that you add later (new computer, network printer, etc. otherwise they will be unable to connect to your network). And lastly you can disable broadcast of the network SSID which should help hide your network (again this is only weak protection as people that already know your SSID are likel to connect wihout problems). You may need to change your SSID to something else before you disable SSID broadcast.

By the way securing your network is very good idea as you could be held responsible for what people do from your segment of the network - I hope your neighbors are no spammers or crackers... Not to scare you.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards, Jan