On Oct 25, 2005, at 4:10 AM, Brian McEwen wrote:

greetings;

I recently bought a used iPOd from a coworker, it's been fine, but I've started using it on 2 different computers-- and I can't move music off the iPod onto the second computer.

I thought that that was the point of "authorizing" each computer- it would know it ws you and let you do what you want.

Well, yes and no. Authorizing the computer allows you to play your purchased music on it. You can synch any number of iPods to a computer, but each iPod only synchs with a single computer at a time.

That said, if you want to copy music from one computer to another, you can do it, but you have to designate part of the iPod disk as a disk drive, and copy them music files to that partition, then onto the other computer. If the ITMS music you copy is authorized on both computers, then it'll play.

Is this an example DRM working the way it should (restricting my fair use right :) or am I missing something?

Well the choice is dealing with Apple's (minimally) problematic DRM or not having the devices at all, because the RIAA would sue them out of existence.

There are numerous programs out there to do what you want.

--
Bruce Johnson
This is the sig that says 'NI!'