>i would like to be able to surf the internet with it
>but airport cards for os 9 are very rare and
>expensive.

Proxim SkyLine cards are 802.11b (Wireless B), and are pretty inexpensive
... $16 apiece when I bought two new ones for my 1400s a while back.

There are many clones of this basic design, and Dell in among them. Also
Lucent, et. al.

Do some Googling, and you will find the identity of the specific cards,
and the drivers they require.