http://static.flickr.com/26/56141137_148c7bdf00.jpg?v=0

i was wondering if i could go wireless with my
wallstreet, it can't be that slow can it? i only want
to use it for email. and where can i get these parts
online? i live in a college town with no apple or
apple related stores for miles.

Tessa,

Most of the few responses to your inquiry that I've seen so far (I'm in digest mode) are OK as far as they go, but it seems you need much more complete info. It sounds like you're pretty much a newbie to wi-fi with Apple PowerBooks, so I'll try to summarize my experience as completely as possible.

First, OS 9.2.1 is a great match for the Wallstreet and will not be as slow as you might fear. If you have a Rev 1 "Mainstreet" model with no cache it will be a bit pokey but definitely still usable. Look at the info plate on the bottom of your WS; if there's no system configuration summary then you have the cacheless Mainstreet. My Rev 2 "PDQ" reads: 14.1TFT/233MHz-512K/32MB/2gb HD/4MB video/CD/Modem. For future reference, if you have a Mainstreet don't even *THINK* about installing OS X.

Second, the 32 MB of RAM you have now is *NOT* enough; find at least a 128 MB module to add ASAP (there are two RAM slots and one of yours is empty). If you can afford $40-50 get a 256 MB SO-DIMM -- your Wallstreet will love you for it.

Third, 802.11b is all the wi-fi you'll ever need; don't be suckered into buying one of the newer 802.11g because you think newer must be better. There are a lot of Orinoco 802.11b cards floating around, and the best place to find cheap Orinoco wi-fi cards is ebay, plain and simple. You'd have to hunt high and low at online retailers to find a real deal; they're falling off the trees on ebay. Get a Silver or Gold, and don't pay over $30 (total including shipping) for one; I paid $24 shipped for a new-stock Gold about a year ago. (There are maybe a dozen or more brands of 802.11b wi-fi cards that are actually Orinocos; mine was an Enterasys RoamAbout, and even Dell sells a couple.) There are no new software drivers for OS X, but you shouldn't need to worry about that. Orinoco v7.2 is the latest OS 9 driver; you can Google for a free download.

Fourth, join the LEM Swaplist ASAP! Lots of helpful Mac folks there, buying and selling used Mac stuff.

Good luck, and happy Mac-ing!

Gene Osburn
Never swallow anything larger than your pride