You may not have a problem with the cage at all...
I've heard arguments on both sides fo teh fence about
32bit PCMCIA cards working fine with no modification
and others saying the cage has to be replaced...

I know that I have a PB3400 (200Mhz, 10gb Hard Disk -
not sure on the RAM off the top of my head, but I know
I put quite a bit in there...)  - My intention was to
use it for word processing, browsing the internet and
other basic stuff...

For the most part, I love it.  The screen is very
bright and crisp on teh 3400.  It responds well and
quickly to all teh applications I have loaded...  But
browsing the internet was a let down.

I have run Netscape and IE (at least - I think I've
tried two or three others) and eventually decided on
Netscape.  It always ran the fastest... but thats not
saying much.  Page loading is miserably slow on that
machine and I can't for teh life of me figure out why.
 I think it's a limitation of the PB processor.  I got
the best speeds with Netscape, by my IBM based
notebook with the same specs will load pages about
200% faster. (Shared Cable Internet).  I had the same
problem with a PowerPC 7300 I have at home until I
dropped a G3 Sonnet Card in it...  Now web borwsing on
the 7300 flies...

I'm running OS 9 on the 3400 and have never had any
stability issues.