So it seems that enough of us have had success with
ATA6 large capacity drives from various manufacturers.
 Seems to me that problems are spurious (the list
member's experience during exhaustive tests
notwithstanding - is testing hardware your job?) and
therefore possibly due to manufactuering defects.  If
there is an incompatability problem with these drives
seems it should be easily attributable to those
manufactured by a given company for a range of time.

According to the tech at the local apple-only shop,
ATA6 drives work fine in a Pismo as, according to the
tech, ATA6 is backwardly compatable.

Again, my 40GB Hitachi/IBM Travelstar 5400 RPM has
been working flawlessly in my Pismo for the past five
months.  Of course OWC on their website states that
ATA6 drives will not work in a pismo.  I discovered
this almost immediately after I ordered my drive from
them.  I emailed them to see if I needed to change my
order.  The tech replied the drive should work just
fine - which it does.

Barry

<http://www.mail-archive.com/g-books%40mail.maclaunch.com/>