At 8:57 AM -0500 11/10/05, Brian McEwen wrote:
Howard Katz wrote

So the question is why won't Tiger connect?  Not really my problem
now--it's the IT dept.  And there's enough Tiger users wandering
around that they'll need to fix this fast.

Oh, and for information's sake--I'm sitting at a Panera's cafe using
their free wifi.  Other than having a slight problem negotiating their
sign-in system this morning (more their system than mine!), it's
obviously working ok.

Why is it we tend to, when it comes to computers, to think it's our
system that's the problem, and not something on the other end, but
when it comes to things political or social issues, it's always the
other guy's fault?  :)

I'll still say that, despite that it's a MS server software, the fact that every other wireless device I own can work fine, and the 10.4 one cannot, tells me that Apple has made some assumptions/broken some rules/ is doing *something* differently than everything else out there. Think back to good ol' dialup days, where everything else with a PPP stack could obtain the local DNS server info automagically, while us Mac types had to type it in by hand always. That the MS server update might bring this wireless "feature" to the fore, doesn't necessarily mean that it is the fault of MS or your local IT guys.

Fun/useful to hear what exact server update they are now running (hint hint :)

In the past at least there were problems with Macs running with a MS DHCP server specifically because Apple WAS following the rules and MS was breaking them and expecting everyone else to because, well, just because.
--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA