Amazing what can happen when your IT finally gives you additional info.

Spent close to an hour at various times with the IT helpdesk last
nite.  One "nice gentleman" (Better that euphemism than something else
I could say--and besides, someone from there could be on this list.
:) ) looking over the shoulder of the person I was talking to actually
said "Oh, we don't support 10.4 Mac OS--only the earlier versions."  I
let them know that it's been working flawlessly since July when I got
this puppy.

Then the shoe drops.  The tech mentions that, and I'm going to use
caps here, so be prepared for a little shouting--INSTALLED A NEW
MICROSOFT SERVER UPDATE PACKAGE TO ALL THE CAMPUS SERVERS YESTERDAY!!

Gee, you think, especially since another Mac user there, running
Tiger, couldn't connect, it could have something to do with MS's
(lousy) software?  He admitted that it could be the case, and put in a
work ticket--to one of my co-workers.  (I've advised him of the
situation in a separate email).  Just for grins, I also booted up one
of the school's eMacs running Panther (or earlier--I forget the
version #, but I know it's not Tiger)--disconnected the ethernet
cable, set it to run via the airport card--no problem, it worked.

So the question is why won't Tiger connect?  Not really my problem
now--it's the IT dept.  And there's enough Tiger users wandering
around that they'll need to fix this fast.

Oh, and for information's sake--I'm sitting at a Panera's cafe using
their free wifi.  Other than having a slight problem negotiating their
sign-in system this morning (more their system than mine!), it's
obviously working ok.

Why is it we tend to, when it comes to computers, to think it's our
system that's the problem, and not something on the other end, but
when it comes to things political or social issues, it's always the
other guy's fault?  :)

Thanks again for all the help, input and insight, folks!!

Later.......................Howard   (a relieved PB user!)