In a message dated 11/25/05 9:38:09 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>I have been trying out some various apple laptops,
>primarily for use as a writing tool, though I want to
>surf wirelessly.

Hello, I would like to opine on this. I am a writer (legal) as well, and I
surf endlessly on legal sites to research.

While I do have an iBook, I prefer using my ancient Powerbook 5300c or 3400c
for my daily writing, especially when I am out and about. First of all, the
keyboard on these two machines (identical keyboards) are in my opinion the very
best Apple keyboard for typing. The keys have a nice feel to them, and take a
dedicated finger-punch to register, and the spring feel seems just right, for
me at least.

Secondly, both have cheap, cheap ($5-$10) batteries out there that still hold
good charges; the 3400c more so. I can pack my two 3400c li-ion batteries, or
my four 5300c ni-cads, and have productivity at Starbucks or the Waffle House
for 4-5 hours. Also, both can be made to be wireless.

Most importantly, while neither is a lightweight compared to today's moden
Apple laptops, both are pretty ruggedly built, and neither is expensive enough
to worry about getting stolen or broken.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo
Ivy F., AL
"Roll Tide!"
Beiges, 'Books and other oddities