If we're sharing stories, :)

I'm still a proud owner and user of an Apple //e (8-bit computer for
those of you who came into the Apple crowd after the Mac was
introduced.)

I obtained a Panasonic laser printer that's HPII compatible (and yes
it too is still in use.)  I had reason to print out boldface italic on
the printer, and regardless of how I configured AppleWorks (the "real"
one, not the ClarisWorks renaming - am I showing a slight bias here?
:) ), I couldn't get the laserprinter to print out this combo.  I
thought this was strange since I could do it on my dot-matrix printer.

So I called Panasonic's tech support, and got a gent who first
couldn't believe that I was using their products with anything Apple.
Then he asked which machine.  "Nope, totally incompatible."  Then he
asked what program.  "Nope--simply won't work."  I asked him to please
contact the instructor for the class I was taking when I was working
on a Master's degree and request that the Instructor return that
12-page paper I had turned in the day before, because "obviously" I
could never have printed it out using the setup I was calling about.
Stunned silence. He then asked if I could by chance send a hex dump of
a text page.  Which I could and did.

It took my conversation to break him out of his peecee-only mode and
realize that the printer didn't care where it got the proper esc-codes
and ascii info from, as long as it was in the proper format.  And like
I said that computer/printer combo still works fine even now.

Oh--and the bold italics? Turns out that that combo was the only one
the programmers left out of that printer's ROM and that unlike a DM
printer, codes aren't additive, so no bold italic in native print
mode. Oh well.  :)

Later.................Howard