> FYI, Over the period of two years, I had 2 Linksys cable/dsl routers. Both
> stopped functioning without any apparent reasons. Right after the warranty
> ended up. I decided to go with D-Link and so far, after a little bit over a
> year, it's still running fine. They were all Ethernet routers, not wireless,
> though

    Just to weigh in with another user's results.

    I was given a wired Linksys BEFSR41 Router, v.3; firmware version
1.05.00, by a friend who replaced it with a new ABS.

    I don't know how long he had it, but it's been on since he gave to me
over a year ago and it has been trouble free.

    I find routers rather complex what with the multitude of items that can
be tinkered with and changed and for others who feel the same way, I
strongly urge you to bookmark the site:

    <http://www.portforward.com/>

    This is from their home page:

> PortForward.com is proud to offer help setting up port forwarding on your
> router or firewall. Many Internet users are not aware of how to configure
> their router or firewall in order to use applications like Peer-to-Peer file
> sharing (PtoP), Internet Games, Web serving, FTP serving, WebCams, IRC DDC,
> and Instant Messaging such as AIM, ICQ, Yahoo and MS Messenger.
>
> Our Routers section offers detailed walkthroughs on how to setup port
> forwarding. These how to guides make it easy to setup your router or firewall
> for any application you may need.
>
> Routers can be tough to configure. Our Help and FAQ page gives general tips
> and definitions. These can help if you can't connect to your router, or are
> unsure of some of the terms on this page. If you do not know exactly what you
> are doing or are having problems, Start Here.
>
> Try our Common Ports ports page if you need to know what ports are required by
> a commonly used software application. We will be adding more to this section
> soon! If you would like to submit ports used by a common software application,
> please send that information to us using our Comments page.

    bob