>If you have 384 ram fitted then either the top or bottom already has
>128 fitted meaning you would need another 256 chip. to get 512.

Oops you are right, Vicki!  That was a typo as I was looking at 256mg
prices - but looks like I might be smarter to go for 512 since I have
recently learned that pismos can now go to 1gb.  Thanks for the offer to
help - I am in Canada and have replaced memory before - although not in
the lower slot!

Tom and Vicki have both recommended buying a drive off of eBay and
fitting it myself but I must say I am leery of some of the work involved
after reading a link linked to a site sent to me by Tom.

Fastmac, on the other hand, makes slot-load combos and supers that
supposedly just slide right into the bay and they are not expensive -
even compared to eBay which has similar tray-loading drives for about the
same price.  (I don't want to replace my original drive with the same as
it never worked and I do not trust the model - although this would be the
cheapest alternative.)

Thanks for all the info - any more would be welcome,

Tannis