If it's the L2, it shouldn't be doing that. To me, it sounds like a failing hard drive or a corrupted partition, but that's my just my Windoze experience talking. Personally, I'd use the chance to go ahead and upgrade to OS X, but that's just what I'd do. It all depends on how much RAM you have, though.

James, I've learned a lot from you, as well, so I think it's mutual.

Hope this can be of some use,
Caleb

P.S. Note how there are a lot of Lombard questions popping up over the past couple of days, between my wireless pain and her OS 9 troubles? We may have to setup a Lombard list...
CSC

--
I've half a mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it. - Groucho Marx