On Jan 2, 2006, at 10:11 AM, Tannis Baker wrote:

If you have 384 ram fitted then either the top or bottom already has
128 fitted meaning you would need another 256 chip. to get 512.

Oops you are right, Vicki!  That was a typo as I was looking at 256mg
prices - but looks like I might be smarter to go for 512 since I have
recently learned that pismos can now go to 1gb. Thanks for the offer to help - I am in Canada and have replaced memory before - although not in
the lower slot!

Tom and Vicki have both recommended buying a drive off of eBay and
fitting it myself but I must say I am leery of some of the work involved
after reading a link linked to a site sent to me by Tom.

If you can get a slotloader from a newer Powerbook being parted out, they fit right in; even without the bezel they work pretty well. This is just a matter of unscrewing the old drive, and attaching the new one. Slides right in.

Someday I'll dremel out the old bezel to fit it on the new drive.

--
Bruce Johnson

"No matter where you go, there you are", B. Banzai