On Jan 4, 2006, at 3:35 PM, Al Poulin wrote:

http://macintouch.com/reliability/laptops.html

My problem with this is that it's an entirely self-reported survey and macintouch is a notorious "squeaky wheel fest" site where folks with problems congregate and inflate the importance of their problems. (I don't even look at that website or MacFixIt anymore. It's just too tough wading through all the chaff for the occasional grain of usefulness. Too many "Ack! Don't install 10.4.3, it killed my computer, shot my dog and ran off with my girlfriend! This is the WORST UPDATE EVAR!!!!" stories.)

Self-reported surveys are notoriously inaccurate to start with, and self-reported surveys about consumer experience and satisfaction are even worse. People satisfied with their experience are unlikely to even go to a trouble-shooting site, much less take the time to fill out a form.

It's like reading this list: if you went just by the list, you would have to assume that Mac laptops were the worst systems on the market; so many people write here about the problems they have with them. Obviously this is skewed because people don't write in when they don't need help.

Apple ship laptops with 20% chance of needing warrantee repair in the first year?? 38% of all Apple laptops dead and out of commission after two years??! (the reason Macintouch gave for declining repair rates in the third and fourth year of ownership)

That conclusion is just counter to experience and common sense, usually a good guide to judging the reliability of such a study.

It's difficult (for me at least) to believe that a company consistently rated very highly for quality and reliability (by companies that actually DO this kind of research for a living, like Consumer's Union and J.D. Power and Associates) would be as bad as this.

Ergo, the survey is suspect.

--
Bruce Johnson

This is the sig who says 'Ni!'