On 1/4/06 6:24 PM, "Bruce Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> My problem with this is that it's an entirely self-reported survey
> and macintouch is a notorious "squeaky wheel fest" site where folks
> with problems congregate and inflate the importance of their
> problems. (I don't even look at that website or MacFixIt anymore.
> It's just too tough wading through all the chaff for the occasional
> grain of usefulness. Too many "Ack! Don't install 10.4.3, it killed
> my computer, shot my dog and ran off with my girlfriend! This is the
> WORST UPDATE EVAR!!!!" stories.)
>
> Self-reported surveys are notoriously inaccurate to start with, and
> self-reported surveys about consumer experience and satisfaction are
> even worse. People satisfied with their experience are unlikely to
> even go to a trouble-shooting site, much less take the time to fill
> out a form.

Bruce has pretty well summed up the problem with the survey. The site is
largely visited by people who have problems - it is therefore predisposed to
hear the bad and not the good. It's like going to the Apple Discussion
Groups; go there looking for information about the computer you are thinking
of buying and you'll walk away thinking they are all lemons.

The larger problem however is with the very nature of the computer industry
and Apple's dependence on style and coolness, not to mention that fact that
the consumer buys into it. Every couple of years Apple throws away a design
and starts over. New motherboard, new custom chips, new case, new power
supply, new cooling system...you get the idea. I think we all understand
that new designs will have problems that won't turn up until the factory
starts cranking them out and large numbers of people get them. It takes a
while for the manufacturer to identify and fix production problems and for
the designer to recognize flaws and fix them. These issues aren't
indications of quality control problems - they are built the realities of
manufacturing.

david